Saturday, August 9, 2014

Are You "Linked In" ?

If you don't already have a professional profile of yourself boasting with your achievements and chalked up with previous employer recommendations, I highly suggest you sign up for one. LinkedIn is Facebook with future co-workers and employers. The newsfeed is filled with business tips, interesting articles, new connections, and the latest viewer on your personal profile.

You might even learn something more valuable than who is dating who and where your ex went last weekend. LinkedIn puts the drama aside and everyone's best foot forward. But even if you appear clean cut and ready to work on LinkedIn, I suggest your Facebook mimics that look. Once an employer or a crucial connection finds you and skims your background, it isn't long until your name is "Googled" and your Facebook profile is hand picked and hooked like a fish out of water.

Why am I a strong believer in LinkedIn? After posting Help Wanted , I got the break I was looking for; a chance to prove myself as a professional and not just a college student.  If you hadn't had the chance to read Help Wanted, I suggest you do so now. I was exposing my inner thoughts of the chances of me getting hired in the next few weeks as the fall semester is approaching. Okay, maybe I was ranting or rambling of the frustration of having and losing a summer job.

Whatever the case may be, I extended my experience to others who might be in the same boat. Then...SPONTANEOUS BLISS HAPPENED. No joke. At midnight I posted #ShareACoke on SB and LinkedIn. Some guy from a marketing company connected with me weeks ago read my posts,  + Energy and #ShareACoke, and literally gave me a thumbs up on each piece. Then he sent me a detailed email informing me of how much he connects with my writing and loves my written personality.  He claims it was fate, and the stars aligned have connected us on LinkedIn. I was little unsettled by his comments of not knowing me but wanting to hire me when I graduate. Then he sent a second email, even longer than the first, considering that maybe later will be too late and now is the time for me to build my work experience and potential. He hired me as a freelance  copywriter for his marketing firm.

WAIT WHAT?!

I went from blogger to freelance copywriter in a week. Now do you believe in Spontaneous Bliss?

                                                                                                               xox SB