Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Help Wanted

Qualifications...
-At least 3years of extensive experience
-Flexible availability hours
-Strong attention to detail, good prioritizing skills, and the ability to work tight deadlines
-You must have strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills
-Knowledgable in blah blah blah
-Strong, Tall, and Handsome
(Wait, wrong qualification list)

The biggest fear I have when applying to a new job is not fitting their criteria of a perfect candidate. As a college student, I already know I lack experience; not due to the lack of trying, but the lack of study in courses I haven't had the chance to take yet. Then my "flexibility to work" is restricted nine months out of the year and built around my first priority as a student, my class schedule. I pay "attention to detail and prioritize my skills" effectively but how can I prove that without the opportunity to prove it. Maybe you might consider my babysitting experience; I could jot down a gracious neighbor's phone number. Or maybe my professor from my public speaking course could write a letter of recommendation praising my "strong verbal, written, and visual presentation skills". And as far as being "knowledgable" in your company,  I am up to date on your latest projects thanks to your Facebook page, tweets, and Pinterest boards. 

I understand, finding the ideal employee is crucial and hard to come by, but what about the students.  We are the future economy and your companies are trying so hard to keep up with our world of social media and constant desire to stay current with our friends' activity. The way I see it, college students have a lot of time on their hands and most are willing to learn a new trade or skill outside of school. Not to mention, we can easily be bought if compensation is involved. 

If more businesses, big and small, considered having positions that were more flexible to college students, more students would graduate with a foundation of experience under their belts. Rather than leaving with a college degree and still resorting to serving or retail, we can pursue our passions as business men/women, physical trainers, educators, and designers.

I have had my fair share of the hustle and bustle in the restaurants and barely survived the temptation to sell products to myself in retail. These experiences have taught me how to work with others, approach employers with confidence, and maintain a steady work ethic. I do not take these jobs for granted, but how do they look on my resume as I apply to be a freelance writer, graphic designer, or event planner? How can I honestly explain the relevance of these experience without exaggerating with the use of key words such as: "determined", "self-motivated", "punctual" and "competent"?

The standard resume does not fully grasp one's experience. Just like the SAT's, I do not think a resume fully reflects one's intelligence and understanding. To the college students looking for a job, my advice is to not be afraid to stand out. Make your mark through pictures, through blogging, through a portfolio; anything you have made or experienced, show it off. To the potential employers from big companies or small "mom and pop" businesses, give college students a chance. Look beyond the uploaded resume on your computer screen. Give them a call or schedule an interview.
Don't think our extent of knowledge in the field is a store in the mall and babysitting. 


                                                                                                                                xox SB